About Me

My Photo
When people think of a military spouse, they think of a woman married to a service member. But this isn't always the case as nearly 10% of us are men. I was born in November 1978. I am a stay at home dad to two boys, one born in October of 2000 and the other born in June of 2009. I married my wife in June of 2006. In April of 2010 she left to go to basic training for the US Army.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

HERE'S SOME MONEY TO SAVE THE COMMISSARY........

HERE'S SOME MONEY TO SAVE THE COMMISSARY..... and do a few other things along the way.

A reenlistment option for the service member(SM) and their family to stay at their current duty station for the term of their new contract and forfeit their final PCS upon their ETS.

As an incentive, offer either a $10k cash bonus or an additional $20+k of "purchasing power" on top of their VA loan or a federally funded loan at a lower interest rate than national norms or........ I will let actual educated people decide.

Now you may be wondering why offer an incentive? The answer is simple, we want our SM's to transition well out of the service. And what better way to do that than allow them to set up some roots in the communities they are sent to?

Now you may be wondering aren't I the guy who wants to cut personnel costs...... and you are right. I do. I think they are out of hand. But if you understand the costs associated with moving a SM and their family you know that a simple PCS can be tens of thousands of dollars. The government once paid my family a couple grand to move like 3 miles. ***And no.... even though I was urged by many to put bags of concrete in the truck to add weight to it, I didn't.*** If I had to pull a number out of my derriere I would say a PCS has to cost the government at least $15k for an E5 family of four. But I am only assuming that number so don't make an ass out of you and me and take it as gospel. I am enough of an anus for everyone.

Not only would it save the DoD money by not having to PCS a service member, they would also save money on the final PCS upon the SM's ETS. **BAZINGA!** An easy $30 grand per service member family that uses this retention option.

Let's say conservatively that 1,000 troops sign up for this. That's $30,000,000. Add in the $53 million from not funding professional sports and simply asking professional sports to help us carry this burden, and BAM! BOOM! POW! POP! We are on our way to funding the commissary.

Maybe the duty station the SM is at isn't the one they want to stay at. So maybe they only get half of the incentive if they waive their ETS PCS. There are a lot of folks who want to retire to a duty station they were once at.

I dunno.... I am just some dude. I don't have a big calculator or nuttin like dat. Maybe it isn't cost effective.

While the monetary gain could be significant the benefit to a transitioning service member and their family could be literally priceless. Not only could the family establish roots for both the SM's career after the military, but it would help spouse employment as well.

Of course there is the benefit of the children knowing they can finally call some place home as well. For many it may be the first time.

In addition to the laying roots idea, any service members who are wounded(mentally or physically) can have a community already in place around them should they need care after service.

Not only would our veterans who could truly use the extra camaraderie get it after their service is over, so could any military family. Down to every last brat. Considering many of these brats would like to follow in their parents footstep, that's a pretty neat bonus.

Finally, for good measure, let's throw into that 'retention incentive package' a lifetime access card to the commissary.

I want to reiterate, I am not preaching the gospel here. I am just throwing stuff out there. Cuz that's what I do. I throw stuff out there. Even if it means slinging some crap. Crap is often times useful in creating good soil. There are a lot of variables to what I suggested but I bet it would pass the sniff test based on how practical it is. The one thing I can't figure out is how to make it fair for people living OCONUS who don't want to live in another country. The one's that want to come home.

Times are changing folks. I believe in change. I think if there is one thing Americans can agree on they can agree on President Obama's change. One portion of them believe in the change he promised and the other portion believes in the change that President Obama will bring in 2016. Me? I am just gonna be a twit and write some blogs and grow some vegetables and flowers.

Love, peace and chicken grease!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the veterans are more considered with obtaining the health care they need rather than whether or not they have a commissary card.

TheArmyWife(Dude) said...

I would strongly agree with you. And that is exactly why I have been aggressive in my criticism towards DeCA and others.

Emily Walsh said...

Hello!

I have a quick question for you, could you email me when you have a chance? Thanks! –Emily

EmilyDWalsh(at)gmail(dot)com