About Me

My Photo
When people think of a military spouse, they think of a woman married to a service member. But this isn't always the case as nearly 10% of us are men. I was born in November 1978. I am a stay at home dad to two boys, one born in October of 2000 and the other born in June of 2009. I married my wife in June of 2006. In April of 2010 she left to go to basic training for the US Army.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

It's not a race......

This time two years ago I was in the middle of a fundraising effort to support mental health in the military and for those effected by someone's service in the military. But the best part for me of that fundraiser was participating in the Washington, DC Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon. All 280lbs of me.

I think it is safe to say that everyone can see I didn't train up prior to participating. But I did what I set out to do and had fun doing it. Because that's the kinda guy I am. A fungi. **I even tend to grow on ya.**

That's a Yuengling by the way that I got from these guys about 1.5 miles in(I was given a Bud Light at about mile 11):


I have been spending a lot of time reflecting of late and I can't help but to go back to that half marathon. It could possibly be the one story of my life that sums everything up.

For starters, I tend to do things without preparing for them. I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of guy. If I hear an idea, or ever worse, I get an idea, and I think it is good, I go with it. And not just half-hazardly. I go all out, full on, hazardly. Some friends of mine and I have decided I need a warning label.

I knew full well what I was getting myself in to with that 1/2 marathon. But my only plan was to start and not stop. I didn't have any expectations to win the race. I just wanted to finish it. If you know me, you know how good I am at starting things and not finishing them. So to complete the half marathon would be nothing more than a personal victory. And that is exactly what it has turned out to be as I look back on it.

I wish I could type this and say I have come to some crossroads in life where I have chosen to stop saying I am going to do things and then not do it. But I can't say that. I wouldn't be being honest.

What I do know is that no matter which way the road is going, I am still on it. In fact, I never really got off of it. I just got slowed up a bit. OK.... OK.... I tripped and fell flat on my face. But that's OK, because just like at the half marathon when I really wanted to give up I had a group pulling me to the finish line.

I set out on that race day with 3 things in mind:

1) Remember why you are here. The ENTIRE time.
2) Don't give up. EVER!
3) Finish in less than 4 hours.

I finished in 3 hours 59 minutes and 56 seconds.

I did it. I am doing it. And I won't stop.








 

1 comment:

Fe Adamsonn said...

Running is good not only our health but also to our self. As what the saying goes, when we demand the maximum of our body, the mind gains a strange spiritual strength.

milspouse